On Saturday 27th September 2014, a Transport Trust 'Red Wheel' was unveiled at the Dennis Bros Ltd Cycle and Motor Factory opened in 1901 at 1 - 10 Bridge Street, Guildford. This was Britain's first purpose-built motor factory. By 1912, Dennis ceased use of the building by which time production had been concentrated in the newer Woodbridge Factory.
The unveiling was carried out by Stuart Wilkinson, Chairman of the Transport Trust with John Dennis, grandson of the founder and Matthew Alexander, Hon Borough Remembrancer, who received the plaque on behalf of Guildford Borough Council. Matthew was one of those credited with saving the Rodboro Buildings from redevelopment some years ago. The building is currently in use by Wetherspoons as a pub and restaurant and has been sensitively restored with many Dennis artefacts on display.
There were two Dennis vehicles present for the occasion, these were D59, the 1909 Dennis Car, driven by John Dennis himself and POR428, a 1956 Dennis Falcon driven by Phil Jacob. Other members of the Dennis Society present were Laurie Powell and Tim Stubbs supported by Sue Presland and Susie Powell.
The Red Wheel Scheme commemorates Britain's rich and globally important legacy in the development of transport and presents it to a new and wider audience. Over 60 sites have so far been awarded Red Wheels.